SAN’A, Yemen, (AP) – A Yemeni security official says an al-Qaeda operative has turned himself in to authorities in the country’s northeastern province.
It’s the second such surrender in a week. Yemen has intensified its campaign to drive al-Qaeda militants from their strongholds across the country.
The security official says the suspect — identified as Hamza Ali Saleh al-Dhyani — gave himself up in Marib province late Sunday. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he isn’t authorized to talk to media.
He said on Monday that al-Dhyani is suspected of training suicide bombers and helping plan the July 2007 suicide attack that killed seven Spanish tourists and two Yemenis.
Yemen last week reported the surrender of another al-Qaeda operative, Ghalib al-Zayedi, also in Marib.