SAN’A, Yemen (AP) – A Yemeni security official says authorities have identified the six suicide bombers who carried out a deadly attack last month on the US embassy, linking them to al-Qaeda in Iraq.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to speak to the press, says three of them had fought with al-Qaeda in Iraq.
The Sept. 17 attack on the gate of the U.S. Embassy by gunmen and vehicles packed with explosives killed 19 people, including an 18-year-old American woman. It was the deadliest direct assault on a U.S. Embassy in a decade.
The official added Saturday that the U.N. headquarters in San’a have been receiving threats since mid-October.