Riyadh, Asharq Al-Awsat – A Saudi family cut short its holiday in Egypt after being informed that two of its sons have been freed from Guantanamo Bay and returned to Saudi Arabia.
Abdullah al Badah traveled to Riyadh’s King Khaled International Airport on Sunday to meet his nephews Abdulaziz al Badah and Ibrahim al Nasser, for the first time in four years.
Meanwhile, Ibrahim al Suleimani, whose brother Youssef is also one of the 14 detainees released by the US authorities in Cuba and returned to the Kingdom, said he received a telephone call from the Saudi Interior Ministry informing him of his brother’s return.
Commenting on the circumstances of his brother’s arrest, Ibrahim told Asharq al Awsat his brother traveled to Pakistan after completing his high school education to assist with the relief efforts. He was arrested after the September 11, 2001 and flown to Guantanamo Bay, where he has been held since.
In a message received by his family last month, Youssef said the US authorities had acquitted him from charges of supporting terrorism and would return home within a matter of time.
All freed detainees have been subjected to health checks and their families informed of their arrival.
Earlier last month, fifteen Saudi detainees were transferred from Camp Delta to Saudi.
Major General Mansour al Turki, Interior Ministry spokesperson, disclosed the names of detainees on Sunday.
They are Moussa al Hosawai, Youssef al Suleimani, Mohammed al Otaibi, Abdul Salam al Shahri, Othman al Ghamdi, Saleh al Khothami, Abdulaziz al BADAH, Rashid al Qayed, Tariq al Harbi, Abdullah al Ghanimi, Ibrahim al Nasser, Saad al Budna, Wissam al Wissam, Siddique Ahmad and Wasm al Wasm, a Turkistani citizen and resident in Saudi Arabia. .
Some 100 Saudis remain in detention at the military base that houses around 450 detainees from different nations.