Asharq al-Awsat and agencies, Amman- Jordan’s King Abdullah dismissed the head of his royal court, Faisal al Fayez, and 10 advisers on Tuesday in the wake of the triple suicide bombings last week.
A high-ranking Jordanian official told Asharq al Awsat on condition of anonymity that “in line with budget tightening, it has been agreed to limit the number of advisers to the court and ministers.”
Sources said the changes were expected to be announced last Thursday but were postponed in light of the attacks in the capital which killed more than 50 people and dented Jordan’s image as a haven from regional instability.
“The moves may have been speeded up by the tragic events but the decision itself has nothing to do with it. It’s related to moves to restructure the royal court,” a senior official told Reuters on condition of anonymity.
The court is in effect a secretariat to the king who holds most executive power in the Kingdom.
Salem al Turk, former deputy chief of staff in charge of army investments, was appointed by royal decree on Tuesday as the new president of the royal court, replacing tribal leader and former Prime Minister Faisal Fayez as head of the royal court.
The choice of Al-Turk is seen as a sign that the monarch wanted to give more influence to old-guard military figures with a reputation for integrity and untainted by corruption.
Dr. Marouf al Bakhit, Jordan”s ambassador to Israel will replace the outgoing security chief Saad Kheir, a former chief of Jordan”s intelligence department.
King Abdullah also dismissed a number of senior religious and economic advisors.
Senior Jordanian sources told Asharq al Awsat that these changes will mark the beginning of wide ranging changes expected to take place in the coming months in Jordan, possibly including a cabinet reshuffle, the re-establishment of the house of notables, or the senate, and the dismissal of parliament in preparation for early elections.