KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (AFP) -A suicide bomber detonated an explosives-filled car next to an Afghan army convoy, killing three soldiers and a civilian and wounding at least 14 people, officials said.
The attack on Monday in the troubled southern city of Kandahar, a former hotbed of the ousted Taliban regime, came one day after another car bomb in the same city claimed the lives of a senior Canadian diplomat and two Afghans.
“An explosives-laden vehicle rammed into an Afghan National Army (ANA) convoy which martyred three ANA soldiers and wounded five ANA soldiers,” defence ministry spokesman General Mohammad Zahir Azimi told AFP.
“It was a suicide atttack,” he said, adding that he had no information on civilian casualties.
Captain Mohibul Rehman of the ANA also confirmed the attack, which happened at around 2:55pm (1025 GMT).
“A suicide bomber detonated himself close to an Afghan National Army vehicle in the city which took (the) lives of three ANA soldiers and wounded another four soldiers,” he said.
Doctor Abdul Qayom Pokhla of Kandahar’s public health hospital said they had received one civilian fatality and 10 wounded so far.