KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (AFP) -Six security forces and five civilians were wounded in twin roadside bomb attacks aimed at an Afghan army convoy in troubled southern Kandahar city, officials said.
A remote-controlled bomb was detonated in the centre of the city as five-vehicle army convoy was passing, army officer Khair Mohammad told AFP from the site. One Afghan soldier was wounded, he said on Sunday.
As police and soldiers rushed to the site of the blast, a second bomb went off on the opposite side of the road wounding two more soldiers, two police and two civilians, district police chief Shair Shah told AFP.
Doctor Abdul Razaq said later that a total of three wounded policemen and five civilians, including two children, had been admitted for treatment.
Kandahar, the main city in southern Afghanistan, has seen regular attacks blamed on Taliban militants who have been waging an insurgency since their regime was toppled by US-led forces weeks after the September 11, 2001 attacks.
The fugitive head of the ousted regime, Mullah Mohammad Omar, last month promised a wave of suicide attacks as part of a spring offensive.
There has been a stream of such attacks in the past two weeks, most of them in the south and few killing anyone besides the attackers.
On Saturday a suicide attacker detonated a car bomb outside a compound for NATO-led troops in the western Afghanistan city of Herat, killing two Afghans and wounded seven Afghan civilians and an Italian.