Middle-east Arab News Opinion | Asharq Al-awsat

Saudi Oil Minister Emphasizes Kingdom''s Role in the Stability of International Oil Market - ASHARQ AL-AWSAT English Archive
Select Page

Riyadh, Asharq Al-Awsat- The Minister of Petroleum and Mineral Resources Eng. Ali bin Ibrahim Al-Naimi emphasized the importance of the role of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in the stability of the world oil market.

In a press conference held yesterday following the patronization of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz of the inauguration ceremony of the International Energy Forum Secretariat building and the launching of Joint Oil Data Initiative (JODI), he said that world”s countries give a great weight to the Kingdom”s role in the supply and stability of the world oil market.

Replying to a question, he said the Kingdom”s producing capacity will reach 12.5 million barrels at the end of 2009.

Eng. Al-Naimi noted that the Kingdom does not intend to play the role of a price swing producer, but it builds its facilities on the expected demand level.

The Minister indicated that the supply is bigger than the demand; oil storage has been built and the market is satisfied. Consequently, there is no need for additional steps, he said and added that refineries in the world have been unable to meet consumers” needs.

He pointed out that the Kingdom”s accession to the World Trade Organization will integrate the Kingdom greater into the world economy. The Kingdom”s role will be more important in the future as a result of its great integration into the world economy, he said.

Al-Naimi stressed that investment in producing and refining operations is necessary due to the economic growth in the world.

The Minister pointed out that with regard to a final consumer, a range between 30 to 35 percent of oil barrel price is for the cost of production, marketing and freight of oil and the remaining of nearly 65 percent for taxes on fuels.

Al-Naimi hoped that the Secretary General of the International Energy Forum takes into consideration the recommendation that the Secretariat sets a mechanism to ensure the producers” interests.

Replying to another question on his remarks that the Kingdom intends to spend more than 50 billion on expansion projects of production, he said that investment portfolios exceed 50 billion and the accurate amount will be set later following feasibility studies.

He affirmed that the Kingdom has the least level of depletion in the world since it has the largest reserves.

The Minister of Petroleum and Mineral Resources noted that the Kingdom does not set oil prices in the world, but prices are set in accordance with the world oil market.

He expressed his confidence that the Kingdom will raise its oil reserves to more than 200 billion.

Asharq Al-Awsat

Asharq Al-Awsat

Asharq Al-Awsat is the world’s premier pan-Arab daily newspaper, printed simultaneously each day on four continents in 14 cities. Launched in London in 1978, Asharq Al-Awsat has established itself as the decisive publication on pan-Arab and international affairs, offering its readers in-depth analysis and exclusive editorials, as well as the most comprehensive coverage of the entire Arab world.

More Posts

Follow Me:
FacebookGoogle PlusYouTube