Middle-east Arab News Opinion | Asharq Al-awsat

Egyptian government "losing patience" with protesters - ASHARQ AL-AWSAT English Archive
Select Page

Members of the Muslim brotherhood and supporters of ousted Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi attend a sit-in outside the Rabaa al-Adawiya mosque on the first day of Eid al-Fitr celebrations on August 8, 2013 in Cairo. (AFP PHOTO/GIANLUIGI GUERCIA)

Members of the Muslim Brotherhood and supporters of ousted Egyptian president Mohammed Mursi attend a sit-in outside the Rabaa Al-Adawiya mosque on the first day of Eid Al-Fitr celebrations on August 8, 2013, in Cairo. (AFP PHOTO/GIANLUIGI GUERCIA)

Cairo, Asharq Al-Awsat—The Egyptian interim government yesterday said it held the Brotherhood responsible for the failure of negotiations to resolve the ongoing political crisis in Egypt.

The government said the road map outlined by the army and various political parties following the ouster of former president Mohamed Mursi was still in place, and that the government would end the pro-Mursi protests in Rabaa Al-Adawiya and Nahdat Misr squares.

The interim president’s media adviser, Ahmad Muslamani, stressed that “his country was full of confidence and did not need a stamp of approval from anyone.” This came in response to recent developments related to comments made by foreign officials who visited Egypt to mediate between the government and the Brotherhood.

The presidency announced in a statement on Wednesday that diplomatic attempts to resolve the difference between the interim government and the Brotherhood, which started 10 days ago with government approval, were over and had been unsuccessful.

The statement blamed the Brotherhood for the failure of the mediation efforts, and said that the organization would be responsible for any damage to Egyptian society resulting from the failure.

The Egyptian government, meanwhile, announced yesterday that it would go ahead with plans to end the pro-Mursi protests in Cairo. Prime Minister Hazem El-Beblawi said the reason for the delay in ending the protests was in consideration for the sanctity of the holy month of Ramadan.

Beblawi called on protesters to leave the squares and go home, adding that the state would provide them with transport. The government also warned protesters to remain peaceful and said that in the event of any violations of the law or possession of weapons, “the state will hit with an iron fist.”

The government said some protesters did violate the peaceful nature of the protests by inciting violence, attacking public institutions and intimidating people, adding that government’s patience was running out. The statement said: “We urge those in the squares who are duped and who take part in violent acts to stop, and we ask them to leave quickly and go home.”

The government rejected comments by some figures who visited Egypt recently and who described Mursi’s ouster as a coup, and reiterated its rejection of any foreign interference in the country’s affairs.

Beblawi held a one-to-one meeting with Egyptian minister of defense and army chief Gen. Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi yesterday morning in which they discussed the security situation in the country. The interior minister later joined the meeting.