The court’s decision came in response to 56 appeals against the results of the elections. It is the second time that the Constitutional Court has dissolved parliament. A similar decision was taken last year, when the opposition-dominated parliament was dissolved.
The emir said: “Now that the judiciary has made its decision, we have to put this case behind us and continue in our reform and development programs, having learned our lessons from this experience.”
He said the country had been through a bitter experience recently, but in the end, there were no winners and losers among the people. The Constitutional Court has also ruled to uphold the laws enacted by the dissolved parliament.
Members of the opposition were unhappy about changes to the election law and called for a boycott of the elections. They staged demonstrations and clashed with the security forces, resulting in some of them facing charges for their part in the clashes.
Following the court’s decision, the Council of Ministers held an extraordinary meeting yesterday and discussed procedures needed to implement the decision.
The Council of Ministers has tasked relevant parties to look into the court’s decision and its repercussions, and to put into effect all necessary measures to implement it. The council will meet on Monday to discuss the implementation of the ruling and to set a date for the elections, which should not be later than 60 days after the dissolution of parliament.
Minister of Information Salim Al-Humoud said: “the Constitutional Court’s ruling emphasizes the strength of the Kuwaiti democratic institutions and its judicial system. It also emphasizes that the government will continue to work tirelessly to achieve development and progress in Kuwait.”
He stressed that Kuwait respected the rule of law and was able to deal with any rulings by the Constitutional Court through its institutions.