Beirut-Turkey has contained the consequences of the killing of around 11 Syrian refugees by its border guards, most of them from the same family, as they were trying to cross the border on Saturday. Turkey denied the accusations and explained that the duty of the border guards is to combat smuggling and potential terrorists.
Therefore, the Syrian National Coalition of Syrian Revolution and Opposition Forces retracted its statement condemning the incident and urged Turkey to address the matter and protect Syrians who are fleeing from the brutality of the regime and its bombardment since the beginning of the year.
Syrian activists said: “Two women and four children were among the 11 shot while trying to cross the Turkish border from Khirbat al Jawz village.
For its part, the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs denied the allegations and described the reports on this matter as “wrong and not a reflection of the truth.”
Earlier this week, the Coalition issued a statement expressing its “surprise and condemnation after this terrible tragedy against our brothers fleeing the regime.”
It added: “The deaths of defenseless Syrians contradict the hospitality of the Turkish government and the Turkish people.”
Member of the SNC Mohammed Maktabi said that his party took a swift decision when it issued the condemnation statement.
Turkey explained that the killing was not intentional, especially that the country is known for its support for the Syrian people, he told Asharq Al-Awsat.