Cairo- Security forces are taking stronger measures to protect top officials and personalities after they thwarted an attempt to assassinate a high-ranking official who was not identified, Egyptian sources said.
Egypt has in the past months witnessed terrorist attacks and assassination attempts of current and former officials, the latest of which was the attack on the former Grand Mufti Ali Gomaa, who escaped unharmed.
Following such attacks, Egyptian security forces began taking extra measures near state institutions, churches, the headquarters of the Coptic Church, mosques, police stations, the rail stations and the Cairo metro.
The interior ministry announced on Thursday that it has come up with a comprehensive plan to guarantee the safety of celebrations during the holidays, adding it is working on confronting any attempt by any side to carry out unlawful activities.
The ministry said it seeks to guarantee the safety of citizens.
Last week, 26 people were killed and at least 48 injured in a suicide attack on Cairo’s main Cathedral.
The attack prompted security forces to tighten measures around al-Azhar mosque in Cairo, the Egyptian sources said. There is information about plots to assassinate statesmen, sheikhs and media figures, they added.
Interior Minister Majdi Abdul Ghaffar said at a meeting on Thursday that the ministry will not be lenient with any attempt to target the nation and its security and the safety of the Egyptians.
He admitted that attempts by terrorist factions to infiltrate the country remain a security challenge. This requires plans to take preventive steps, the minister said.
He added that terrorist attacks have abated as a result of the tangible achievements made by security forces.