Cairo- After the death of the Muslim Cleric Omar Abdel-Rahman in the U.S., the Muslim Brotherhood announced that will be receiving condolences in its headquarters in Cairo and other provinces.
However, the blind sheikh’s family stated that the date for receiving the corpse hasn’t been determined yet – his son said that it will be brought through the U.S. Embassy and Consulate in Egypt.
“Perhaps the reservations over the corpse arrival date are attributed to security reasons,” sources of the Muslim Brotherhood said. They added that Egyptian authorities might have concerns over any aggressive actions or protests occurring during the funeral, especially by followers of the deceased sheikh.
U.S. authorities notified the sheikh’s family about his death on Saturday — Omar Abdel-Rahman hometown Al Jamaliyah, in ad-Daqahliyah, has witnessed intensive security reinforcements since then in anticipation of the corpse arrival.
Witnesses said that the funeral is likely to be restricted to the family and relatives.
Sheikh Abdel-Rahman was arrested in the U.S. where he was spending an imprisonment sentence after being convicted of conspiracy in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing.
Abdel-Rahman, 79, is known to be the spiritual leader of the Muslim Brotherhood that faced the Egyptian government in the beginning of the nineties. In 1995, he was convicted of conducting attacks on the U.S. including the World Trade Center in 1993 and he was sentenced to life in jail.
Twitter also increased the ambiguity surrounding the topic, as a hashtag was launched calling for not burying Abdel-Rahman in Egypt- the hashtag topped the list of the most active with more than 14,000 tweets after only one hour of its launching.