Middle-east Arab News Opinion | Asharq Al-awsat

Police Make 7th Arrest Over London Subway Bomb | ASHARQ AL-AWSAT English Archive 2005 -2017
Select Page
Media ID: 55383949

Dr. Nasser Kurdy

London-British police on Monday arrested a 20-year-old man suspected of involvement in the Sept. 15 terrorist attack on an underground train in south-west London.

The man was detained in Cardiff, the Welsh capital, and taken to a police station in London, the Metropolitan Police said.

He was the seventh suspect arrested following the attack, in which about 30 people were injured when a home-made bomb partially detonated on an underground train at London’s Parsons Green station.

The suspect, Ahmed Hassan, 18, was charged on Friday with attempted murder and causing an explosion while three suspects were released without charge.

A bucket packed with nails and the explosive Triacetone Triperoxide (TATP) partially detonated on a busy train during the morning rush hour, and many of the victims suffered burns.

The attack was claimed by ISIS, but police cautioned that such claims were “routine… whether or not they’ve had any previous engagement with the individuals involved.”

On the other hand, an imam, who treated Manchester bombing victims, was rushed to hospital after he was stabbed outside a mosque by an attacker who reportedly made “anti-Muslim comments.”

Police have launched an investigation after Dr. Nasser Kurdy was attacked with a knife outside the Altrincham Islamic Center in Greater Manchester on Sunday.

Dr Kurdy, 58, a consultant orthopaedic surgeon, and some people had already made their way into the mosque when he was attacked at around 6 pm.

Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson said: ‘This is a very nasty and unprovoked attack against a much-loved local man.’

He has been discharged from hospital, according to his colleague Dr. Khalid Anis, a spokesman for the Altrincham & Hale Muslim Association, who said he was ‘very lucky’.

Dr. Anis, who was with his friend moments after the attack, said: ‘It could have been very, very serious.

“He said he noticed someone cross the road and then somebody just attacked him from behind.”

Greater Manchester Police said in a statement: ‘Officers have arrested two people after a hate crime in Hale.

“Emergency services attended and a man in his 60s has been taken to hospital with a stab wound to the back of his neck.”

Two men aged 54 and 32 were arrested nearby in connection with the incident and remain in custody for questioning.

Officers are treating this as a hate crime and are appealing for people with information to come forward, according to the Daily Mail.