Riyadh- The U.S. Embassy in Saudi Arabia has issued a terror alert on Wednesday stating that militants were planning fresh attacks in the kingdom.
A statement issued by the U.S. embassy in Riyadh said it had no specific details about possible targets or timing of attacks but advised Americans to keep a low profile.
the message is as follows: The American Embassy in Riyadh advises all American citizens living in Saudi Arabia that it has received indications of operational planning for a terrorist attack or attacks in the Kingdom. The Embassy has no specific information concerning timing, target or method of any possible attack(s). In the past, terrorist groups have targeted housing compounds and other establishments where Westerners may be located. Saudi Government facilities have also been targets. In addition to car bombs and armed assaults involving multiple gunmen against such facilities, terrorists have used ambush attacks to kidnap and/or assassinate individual Westerners.
In other news, an official source at the Ministry of Interior said that security forces have found out a hideout belonging to the criminal deviating group in a residential neighborhood in Kharj Governorate. The hideout has been used for the industry of killing and destruction and storage of dangerous materials in a primitive way indifferent to the lives of people in the area.
The source noted that the finding out of the hideout on July 19 came as a result of security pursuit of individuals of the deviating group and the arrest of a number of suspects recently announced.
The security forces have seized the following items:
1- 76 fertilizer 25 kg bags
2- 125 kg ammonium nitrates
3- 80 kg ground brown grains
4- 80 kg coal
5- Various mixtures
6- 3kg chemical powders
7- 4 big gallons full of chemical liquids
8- A quantity of pipe bombs, electric sets, grinders, distilled water, incendiary chemical acids, laboratory devices, various paints, and an
Saudi Authorities have killed or arrested all but three men on a list of 26 most wanted suspects published in late 2003. But last month they issued another list of 36 wanted men they are still hunting down.
One of those suspects, Mohammad Ibrahim al-Hayyari, was killed in a fierce gunbattle in Riyadh two weeks ago.
Militants have killed 91 foreign nationals and Saudi civilians in the last two years and caused more than 1 billion riyals ($270 million) worth of damage, Saudi officials say.