Ankara-The dispute over accusations made by some Turkish officials to Washington that it had information about last month’s attempted coup continued over the weekend.
The U.S. Embassy in Ankara released a statement on Twitter denying a media report that Ambassador John Bass had met with a coup plotter on July 14, a day before the attempt to overthrow President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
“A photo has appeared purporting to show Ambassador Bass with a coup plotter in Istanbul July 14. It is a fabrication,” the mission said.
“We condemn this dishonest act, meant to spread doubt and undermine the Turkish American alliance,” it said.
“The friendship between Turkey and the United States is too deeply rooted to fall victim to this sort of trickery,” the Embassy added.
On Saturday, the U.S. ambassador again said his country played no role in last month’s failed coup attempt, showing exasperation with persistent accusations to the contrary.
“I just want to say again, as I’ve said before and as we’ve said from Washington, the United States government did not plan, direct, support or have any advance knowledge of any of the illegal activities that occurred the night of July 15 and into July 16. Full stop,” Bass said in remarks published in English daily Hurriyet Daily News.
He added that he was “deeply disturbed and offended by the accusations” targeting his country.
In a related development, the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations sent a letter to Jewish groups in Turkey, supporting their participation in a rally organized by the Turkish government on Sunday.
The pro-democracy rally was held in Istanbul with the participation of Erdogan and some political parties.
The letter said that the conference gives importance to the special ties that have been established with Jewish groups and the Turkish people, expressing its desire to improve those relations in the future.