KABUL, Afghanistan, (AP) -Suspected Taliban militants ambushed an Afghan army convoy with rocket propelled grenades in southern Afghanistan, killing two soldiers and wounding up to 14, officials said.
The troops were attacked as they were traveling on the main highway Monday linking Kabul with Kandahar in Zabul province, said Mohammad Omar, an official with the Afghan National Army.
Fourteen wounded soldiers were brought to a NATO base in the province for treatment. Suspected militants fled the area after the ambush, Omar said.
Afghan army regional commander Gen. Rehmatullah Raufi said Tuesday that two soldiers were killed and four wounded in the incident. The officials’ differing figures could not immediately be reconciled.
Also in the south on Monday, suspected Taliban attacked a police vehicle north of Kandahar city, leaving one policeman dead, said provincial police chief Esmatullah Alizai.
The latest violence came days after NATO and Afghan troops retook Sangin district from militants as part of NATO’s largest-ever offensive in Afghanistan, Operation Achilles, launched last month to flush out Taliban militants from the northern tip of opium-producing Helmand province.
Afghan army commander Raufi said that several clashes with the Taliban over the past two weeks in Sangin have left 20 Taliban dead, including a regional commander. He said there have been no casualties in the Afghan army.