Riyadh- Saudi Arabia confirmed on Monday it was exchanging information with German investigators to track an ISIS militant responsible for a bomb attack that hit the European country last July.
Spokesman for the Saudi interior ministry, General Mansour al-Turki announced that his country had cooperated with Germany over evidence showing that an ISIS member had used an account through a social media application that was previously activated using a Saudi phone number.
Meanwhile, German foreign ministry spokeswoman Sawsan Chebli told a news conference on Monday that Saudi Arabia played a leading role by helping German investigators prevent more terrorist attacks from happening on its territories.
Al-Turki confirmed to Asharq Al-Awsat that based on conclusions reached by German investigators, the two countries have examined evidence showing that a member of ISIS, probably present in a country currently witnessing conflicts, had been in contact with one of the terrorist attackers in Germany using a Saudi phone number.
Al Turki added that coordination is still ongoing between experts in both countries to try to find the parties to the case.
The spokesperson said Saudi Arabia is keen on collaborating with any party to help fight terrorism, regionally and internationally.
Germany had asserted through the spokespersons of its Interior and Foreign Ministries that it had received an offer from Saudi Arabia to help investigate the latest attacks that took place in Germany. Berlin has welcomed the offer.
German interior ministry spokesman Tobias Plate said that security collaboration between both countries had a “significant value” but refused to comment on the status of investigations.
ISIS has claimed responsibility for an attack in Bavaria in which a refugee wounded five people with an axe before police shot him dead, and for a bombing in Ansbach, southern Germany, which wounded 15 people.