KABUL (AP) – NATO is investigating an Afghan official’s accusation that a military convoy killed two women and a child in a car in a southeastern province.
A spokesman for the governor of Zabul province says NATO forces opened fire Friday after the driver of the car ignored signals to stop. The spokesman, Mohammad Jan Rasoulyar, said soldiers had blocked the road to defuse a roadside bomb.
NATO said Saturday it was looking into the allegation. Civilian deaths at the hands of U.S. and other international forces are highly sensitive in Afghanistan.
Public outrage over such deaths prompted the top commander Gen. Stanley McChrystal last year to tighten the rules on the use of airstrikes and other weaponry if civilians are at risk.