Rabat- Morocco’s Ministry of National Education has officially shut down all schools associated with the Fethullah Gulen, who is the alleged architect of the July 15 failed coup attempt against Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
All students affected by the close down of the Gulen institutions were re-enrolled at private and public sector establishments.
In an official statement issued by the ministry, the government reiterated its concern with the future of all pupils who were distressed by the shutdown of their academies.
“Students enrolled at these schools have all since been re-enrolled at various state and private educational institutions… in accordance with their parents’ wishes,” it added, affirming that the students have resumed their studies.
In January, the Ministry of the Interior announced its plan to shut down all Gulen-affiliated institutions, setting a deadline of one month for the school’s officials to comply with its decision.
The ministry said that “investigations showed that the schools were spreading the ideology of Gulen’s movement “which contradict the educational system and religious principles of Morocco.”
Following this decision, the student’s parents protested against the ministry, condemning the decision.
Morocco would take “all necessary steps” to close down all Gulen-linked schools operating on its territory, a Moroccan diplomat said.
The Gulen network established its first school in Morocco in 1993 in the coastal city of Tangier before setting up more in other cities.
The Turkish authorities believe the group had orchestrated last year’s coup attempt against the country’s democratically elected government, which left at least 248 martyrs in its wake and some 2,200 others injured.