JERUSALEM (AP) – Israel’s military says it will not file any charges in the death of a Palestinian protester last year.
Thirty-one-year-old Bassem Abu Rahmeh was killed when a tear gas canister fired by troops hit him in the chest during a protest last April against Israel’s West Bank separation barrier.
The army claimed Abu Rahmen was in a group of people throwing rocks at troops. But video footage showed the protesters shouting at soldiers, not throwing anything.
The Israeli military said Thursday it closed the investigation after determining the canister was not intentionally aimed at Abu Rahmeh.
The death occurred near Bilin, a village that holds weekly protests against the barrier. Israel says the structure is for security. The Palestinians say it has seized chunks of the West Bank.