CAIRO (Reuters) – Egypt’s public prosecutor has issued an order imposing a travel ban on former President Hosni Mubarak and his family while complaints against them are being investigated, a prosecutor’s spokesman said on Monday.
He did not detail the complaints, but the prosecutor’s spokesman Adel el-Saeed said an official order had been issued, adding that the order also put a freeze on their money and assets.
The travel ban follows the prosecutor’s decision on February 21 to freeze the foreign assets of Mubarak, the first sign that the ousted president would be held to account by the rulers to whom he handed power on February 11.
Media reports suggested the former president’s wealth may total billions of dollars and some anti-Mubarak protesters accused him of squandering the wealth of the Arab world’s most populous nation, but aides insist he has done nothing wrong.
An 18-day uprising ended 30 years of Mubarak’s rule, sending shockwaves through the Middle East, threatening entrenched dynasties from Libya to Bahrain.