Middle-east Arab News Opinion | Asharq Al-awsat

Aramco Cyber-attack not inside job - Al-Turki - ASHARQ AL-AWSAT English Archive
Select Page

Dammam, Asharq Al-Awsat – Interior Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Monsour Al-Turki said on Sunday that the cyber-attacks that hit the kingdom’s oil giant Aramco and Qatari natural gas producer RasGas in August originated outside the kingdom.

Maj. Gen. al-Turki said in a press conference Sunday that an investigation concluded that an “organized foreign group … was behind the attacks” and that Aramco employees were not involved. He did not name the group, or its place of origin.

Al-Turki went on to say that “The Interior Ministry with cooperation from Aramco have reached encouraging results regarding the cyber-attack on Aramco during the holy month of Ramadan”.

The cyber-attacks used a virus, known as Shamoon, which can spread through networked computers and ultimately wipes out files by overwriting them.

Aramco has said production wasn’t affected.

Two previously unknown groups claimed responsibility for the Aramco attack.

Asharq Al-Awsat

Asharq Al-Awsat

Asharq Al-Awsat is the world’s premier pan-Arab daily newspaper, printed simultaneously each day on four continents in 14 cities. Launched in London in 1978, Asharq Al-Awsat has established itself as the decisive publication on pan-Arab and international affairs, offering its readers in-depth analysis and exclusive editorials, as well as the most comprehensive coverage of the entire Arab world.

More Posts

Follow Me:
FacebookGoogle PlusYouTube