Middle-east Arab News Opinion | Asharq Al-awsat

Saudi Bahri Adds Giant Oil Tanker ‘ASLAF’ to its Fleet | ASHARQ AL-AWSAT English Archive 2005 -2017
Select Page
Media ID: 55379203

Bahri CEO after Signing with Bollore (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Riyadh– National Shipping Company of Saudi Arabia (Bahri) announced on Wednesday expanding its fleet with the addition of ASLAF, very large crude carrier, in a step that could promote its competitive capabilities.

The company revealed that ASLAF, built by Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) in South Korea, can carry 300,000 tons and is the 39th carrier for crude oil.

Bahri received the new vessel at HHI’s Mokpo shipyard in South Jeolla Province, South Korea.

Acting CEO of Bahris, Ali al-Harbi said that adding ASLAF is yet another milestone for the company and reinforces its preeminent position in the global oil transportation industry.

ASLAF is the third VLCC to join the Bahri fleet this year following the delivery of “AMJAD” and “MAHARAH”.

“This addition is part of Bahri’s plan to continue to improve its operational excellence and commercial flexibility and maintain its status as a first-class owner and operator ensuring maximum customer satisfaction,” explained Harbi.

Through expanding and developing its services, Bahri is committed to achieving Vision 2030 and opening new trade routes. It also aims to enhance Saudi’s position as the regional gateway for three continents in fields of logistic services.

In related news, Bahri signed on Wednesday an agreement with Bolloré Logistics to establish a new logistics joint venture. The new cooperation is expected to serve the needs of customers in Saudi Arabia and the region in general.

The agreement marks another step of Bahri and Bolloré Logistics’ expansion into the fast-growing logistics and supply chain management market within the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC).

The joint venture “Bahri Bolloré Logistic”, which will be headquartered in Riyadh, will leverage Bolloré’s global reach and logistics platform, along with Bahri’s local logistics expertise, wide customer base, strong maritime expertise, and its fleet of state-of-the-art multi-purpose vessels.

It will offer end-to-end logistics and supply chain solutions to both large companies based across the region and international companies doing business with the kingdom.

Bahri will be the majority stakeholder with a 60 per cent stake while Bolloré will own the remaining 40 per cent.

“We are proud to partner with a well-known and respected global player like Bolloré Logistics, which brings more than three decades of expertise in the logistics industry,” Harbi said.

Bolloré’s global capabilities in logistics and supply chain management, along with Bahri’s regional knowledge and expertise in transportation and logistics services, will help in opening new fields of cooperation and operational efficiencies powerful enough to propel the new venture toward becoming a logistics partner of choice for companies around the region.

Over the past years, Saudi Arabia invested in building railroads, airports and ports aiming to enhance its logistic services.