Middle-east Arab News Opinion | Asharq Al-awsat

'Graveyard for Traitors' to Receive Coup Plotters - ASHARQ AL-AWSAT English Archive
Select Page

Istanbul, Ankara-Istanbul Municipality established on Friday a ‘Graveyard for Traitors’ to be the final resting place of coup plotters. The municipal decision followed the families’ rejection to receive the bodies of those killed during clashes between citizens and police on the day of the attempted coup.

Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality Mayor Kadir Topbas said that he has ordered the allocation of space for the final resting place of traitors where the passersby will curse the ones buried there.

Besides, the debate about restoring the death penalty has risen; the idea is actually widely welcomed, especially after the latest rise in rape and murder crimes that led to growing fears in the society. The death penalty was abolished years ago during negotiations between Turkey and the European Union.

More than 200 were killed and hundreds were injured last Friday in clashes between security forces and the plotters of the failed coup, which the government accused Fathullah Gulen’s movement of planning for it.

Meanwhile, a wide-ranging investigation is carried out. The probe is focusing mainly on members of the armed forces who were in their shifts during the coup.

The investigation seeks to discover any possible dereliction of duty during Friday’s incidents.

In the same context, the chief military adviser of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Col. Ali Yazici, admitted his mistake for not heading towards the president’s location in Marmaris when learning about the coup, but going to a military base in Izmir instead.

On the diplomatic level, Erdogan received on Thursday former President Abdullah Gul who also held talks with Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim away from the media spotlight.

Moreover, Interior Minister Efkan Ala stated that coup plotters intended to target critical and sovereign locations in Ankara to control them, but their attempt was aborted.

The Turkish people were not affected by the state of emergency, which will last for three months. As a matter of fact, they considered this step as a reassurance in the aftermath of last week’s coup attempt.

Also, the government said that the current situation will facilitate taking quick and effective procedures to put its hand on the perpetrators.

Asharq Al-Awsat carried out a tour in the streets of Ankara and realized that everything is normal. For instance, Citizen Mohammed Augoz said that he sees no problem in imposing a state of emergency and that he supports this step.

Erdogan made the announcement in a televised press conference Friday night. He reassured citizens that his decision will not restrict their rights or target their economic activities.

The President pledged to make the best of the coming period and promised that the Turkish nation will be stronger when this phase ends.