Middle-east Arab News Opinion | Asharq Al-awsat

Turkish Forces Foil Suicide Attack on Gaziantep Police Station | ASHARQ AL-AWSAT English Archive 2005 -2017
Select Page
Media ID: 55365346

Victims of attack in Gaziantep in October 9, 2016. Reuters

Ankara- Turkish security forces killed an armed man who tried to enter the main police station in the southeastern city of Gaziantep on Tuesday.

An officer was lightly wounded in the shootout at a security checkpoint outside the police headquarters, the governor’s office said in a statement.

It was not immediately clear how many people were involved in the attempted attack.

On January 5 two attackers, a policeman and a court worker were killed in a car bomb and gun assault on a courthouse in the Turkish city of Izmir.

Fethi Sekin noticed the attackers and prevented their car from reaching the entry. He pulled his weapon and chased the attackers as they escaped from the vehicle; he killed one of the attackers but died during the clash.

Turkey’s Deputy Prime Minister Veysi Kaynak told reporters that weapons found after the explosion suggested a larger attack had been planned.

Nine people were hospitalized with injuries, said Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim four days after 39 people were killed and at least 69 wounded in the attack in Reina nightclub early Sunday as they were celebrating the new year.

Izmir’s attack was blamed on the militant Kurdistan Worker’s Party or PKK whereas Gaziantep attack is still being investigated.

Meanwhile, Ankara Governor’s Office announced that a ban has been imposed on all protest activities in the city for a period of one month due to security concerns.

The statement said all types of protest activities including marches, the issuing of press statements, demonstrations, the erecting of tents and stands, the holding of sit-ins and the carrying of banners and placards have been prohibited for a period of 30 days beginning from Jan. 10 to protect public order.

Police teams on Monday used tear gas, pressurized water and plastic bullets on a group of people from civil society organizations and bar associations who had gathered in front of Parliament to protest government plans to introduce a presidential system in Turkey.

On the other hand, in a tribute to Andrei Karlov, the Russian ambassador to Turkey gunned down in a shocking attack in Ankara in December, the municipality of Ankara renamed the street where his residence and Russian embassy are located.

Ankara Mayor Melih Gokcek presented a copy of the municipal council’s decision to rename the street to Marina Karlov, the widow of the ambassador who was fatally shot in an art gallery by an off-duty police officer linked to the Gulenist Terror Group (FETO).