Mecca– Foreign ministers of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation Member States have agreed to refer the case of Houthis’ attack against holy sites in Mecca to the United Nations.
During an emergency meeting held in Mecca, fifty-one representatives of Islamic states have decided to address a letter to the United Nations on behalf of OIC’s executive committee, “to take to necessary international measures to prevent the recurrence of such attacks” on Mecca and other holy sites.
Yemen’s Houthi militias targeted the holy city on Oct. 27 with the launch of a ballistic missile. The Arab coalition said in an earlier statement that the missile was downed 65 km from Mecca, with coalition jet fighters destroying the rocket launchers in Saada.
The attendees also approved the establishment of a work group formed of representatives of OIC member states to look into the adoption of immediate and effective measures that would prevent the repetition of such dreadful attacks.
In remarks during the meeting, Saudi Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Nizar Madani condemned last month’s attempted missile attack on the holy city.
“All Muslims must take a clear and strict stance against this attack to prevent Houthis from being encouraged to repeat this attempt,” he said.
Madani also called for an end to the “aggressive actions toward the Yemeni people” by the Houthi rebels and militias loyal to ousted President Ali Abdullah Saleh.
The Iranian government declined on Wednesday an official invitation to participate in the OIC emergency meeting.
While no official statement has been issued by Tehran to clarify the reason behind its abstention from attending the meeting, political analysts told Asharq al-Awsat newspaper that Iran was trying to avoid direct confrontation with OIC member states, as its role in arming Houthi militias was now obvious to all Islamic States.