Middle-east Arab News Opinion | Asharq Al-awsat

Bahraini SIU: Hayiki Died of a Heart Attack | ASHARQ AL-AWSAT English Archive 2005 -2017
Select Page
Media ID: 55356237

Women protest in Bahrain. (Photo: AFP/ Mohammed al-Sheikh)

Manama – Bahraini Special Investigation Unit (SIU) concluded that Hasan al-Hayiki detained at Dry Dock Detention Centre died of natural causes.

Member of SIU Issa al-Manae said that the unit concluded its investigations into the incident and decided that he died of natural cause and there is no criminal intent.

The unit’s decision came after a series of procedures, including investigations with other detainees in the same ward as Hayiki. All the statements mentioned he suffered from the same symptoms without any injury prior to his death.

SIU also questioned father, wife, and sister of the deceased, and they all agreed they haven’t noticed any injuries on his body upon visiting him before his death.

The doctor on-call and other police guards at the prison all agreed that Hayiki received first-aid support and was transported to the hospital where he died.

SIU had questioned the detainee before public prosecution on July 12 on the cases of terrorism. Based on the transcripts of the interrogation, there was no indication of any sign of abuse or mentioning of torture. Member of the prosecution didn’t see any visible injuries or bruises either.

Post-mortem examination report of Hassan Al-Hayiki concluded that the body was free of any injuries and that the death was caused by a heart attack resulting from the blockage of the coronary arteries feeding the muscle of the heart.

It added that the cause of the death is consistent with the symptoms from which the deceased was suffering before his death, and which were mentioned in the statements of the detainees in the same ward.

Manae said that the SIU also inspected the clothes of the deceased and they were clear without any blood stains.

He added that the unit was keen to publish the findings of its investigations, stressing that no one should spread false accusations especially when a retouched photo of Hayiki’s body circulated on social media.

He explained that those accusations were debunked when a video and photographs were published to prove his body had no injuries whatsoever.