Tel Aviv – Israel’s security cabinet approved new measures in the wake of Sunday’s truck-ramming attack in Jerusalem, which led to the killing of four Israeli soldiers and left another 16 wounded.
The Israeli government imposed a blockade on Jabel Mukabar neighborhood, where Fadi al-Qunbar, the perpetrator of the attack, used to live.
Neighborhood residents said that the Israeli occupation forces have conducted a series of raids, during which they arrested 15 persons, who were allegedly related to Qunbar.
The occupation government approved a series of measures to collectively punish Qunbar’s family, including demolishing their home as soon as possible, rejecting their family unification requests, and withholding Qunbar’s body.
On Monday, ministers voted unanimously to order Israeli soldiers to destroy the home of Qunbar — who was killed by a civilian during the attack. Members of his family will not be allowed to meet with relatives who live in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, and Qunbar’s body will not be returned to his family for burial, local media said.
Israeli police raided Qunbar’s home and detained his wife, parents and two siblings for questioning.
The Israeli security cabinet also agreed to place in administrative detention any person expressing support or identifying with the ISIS terrorist organization.
Qunbar’s sister Shadia, said her slain brother was a father of four, and had no political affiliation and had not been previously detained.
“Fadi was not a supporter or member in any organization”, Shadia told reporters who flocked to Qunbar’s house.
Israel’s housing minister, a former military general, has called for Qunbar’s family to be expelled to Syria, and for his relatives to be denied national insurance benefits.
Israeli police prevented Qunbar’s family from putting up a mourning tent to receive condolence visits.