Cologne- German prosecutors said they have charged a Syrian refugee with preparing an act of violence over allegations he had gathered bomb-making materials to commit an attack in Copenhagen.
Stuttgart prosecutors said Monday the man was in possession of 17,000 matches, a package of fireworks, 17 batteries, six walkie-talkies and two kitchen knives when he was picked up trying to make his way into Denmark.
The man, whose name was not released, was aged 20 when he was arrested in November 2016 as he tried to travel to Denmark with planning to build a bomb and detonate it in a crowd in the capital of Copenhagen. He has been in custody since then.
The Syrian man came to Germany in 2015 and lived in a refugee shelter in the Biberach area in the southern state of Baden-Wuerttemberg before his detention, the Stuttgart prosecutor’s office said in a statement.
The suspect planned to build an explosive device with the objects and detonate it in Copenhagen in a gathering of people, according to the statement.
The Second Youth Chamber of the Ravensburg Regional Court must now decide on the opening of proceedings against the man, it added.