Kuwait– The Kuwaiti authorities announced on Saturday that they have arrested a new fugitive convict involved in the Abdali terror group case, bringing the number of those arrested to 14.
According to the Interior Ministry, security forces apprehended Abdul Mohsen Jamal Husain Al Shatti on Saturday evening. The convict has been sentenced to 10 years in prison.
Kuwait had charged 25 Kuwaitis and one Iranian after weapons and explosives were seized in 2015. Prosecution representatives said they were planning to carry out hostile activities.
The Ministry announced last month that it had implemented the judgment of the Court of Cassation issued in case No. 302/2016 on the so-called Abdali cell, calling for the arrest of the suspects.
Reports mentioned that the convicts might have escaped outside the country, but authorities confirmed earlier that they remained inside of Kuwait.
Earlier in August, the Kuwaiti interior ministry announced it had arrested 12 members of “Abdali” cell after weeks of manhunt.
The ministry said those have been captured in different areas across Kuwait. They had been on the run since their sentencing last month, while two other convicted Kuwaitis remained at large and an Iranian, Abdulreza Haidar Dahqani, who has been sentenced to death in absentia.
Abdali case emerged on August 13, 2015, when Kuwait’s Interior Ministry said that it busted a terrorist cell and uncovered a large cache of arms, ammunition and explosives hidden underground at a farm in Abdali area on border with Iraq.
The authorities also discovered hand grenades, guns, RPGs and 144 kg of bomb-making material.
On January 12, 2016, the Criminal Court sentenced a Kuwaiti man and an Iranian national to death, one defendant to life in prison and 19 others between five to 15 years in jail.
The verdicts were appealed and on July 21, 2016, the Court of Appeals upheld the death sentence against the Kuwaiti national, one life sentence and one five-year sentence.