Middle-east Arab News Opinion | Asharq Al-awsat

Libya: Government Forces Seize Neighborhood in Mid Sirte - ASHARQ AL-AWSAT English Archive
Select Page

Cairo- The media bureau of the Operation of “Al-Bunyan Al-Marsous” announced that the forces took over a neighborhood in Sirte and liberated hospitality palaces, previously occupied by ISIS. The bureau said this advancement took place after the government forces had targeted ISIS snipers.

The Libyan National Army in eastern Libya said that the forces are carrying out almost daily operations against extremist groups in Benghazi. The forces accepted to let residents flee the conflict zones, but extremists refused.

“We gave several chances to families and elderlies to escape but ISIS hurdled these pursuits”, Ahmed al-Mesmari, the spokesman for Haftar’s forces, told Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper.

The American envoy to Libya, Jonathan Winer, expressed his concern over oil fields after news spread on the possibility of the outbreak of war between those fighting to get their hands on them. Winer tweeted that Libyan parties must resort to dialogue and avoid any threats to oil sector and the fragile Libyan economy.

Winer statements coincide with British Ambassador to Libya Peter Millett declaring his country “is willing to assist Libya technically and professionally in the fields of oil and gas production to boost Libyan production and economy.”

National Oil Corporation in Tripoli also seemed worried, in a statement issued on Sunday, over possible conflict between Libyan National Army and Petroleum Facilities Guards (PFG) at Zwetina oil port. The statement called on both opponents to avoid more destruction to the country’s infrastructure.

Mustafa Sanalla, chairman of the National Oil Corporation in Tripoli, called on both PFG and Libyan National Army to refrain from any military action that could damage the facilities at the oil terminal at Zwetina.