Middle-east Arab News Opinion | Asharq Al-awsat

Al-Bunyan al-Marsous Forces Start Countdown to Recover Sirte - ASHARQ AL-AWSAT English Archive
Select Page

Cairo- Forces of the Government of National Accord in Libya said that the final stage of military operations against ISIS remnants in Sirte has commenced.

The Sunday Times unveiled a new mission that was carried out by Elite British Forces operating in Libya against ISIS via a high-tech weapon called “The Punisher”. This weapon was tested in Afghanistan by the U.S. Army and it can fire air-bursting rounds up to 704 meters (700 yards), reported the newspaper from military experts.

Al-Bunyan al-Marsous forces stated that operation leaders are holding intensive meetings in preparation for the final offensive in Sirte. The forces added in a statement that the countdown for the final stage of government forces’ assault has started.

Operations’ chamber mentioned in a statement published on its official Facebook page that the U.S. forces launched on Saturday four raids on ISIS remnants’ locations in Sirte. Government forces are supported by the U.S., which has started targeting ISIS locations as per Sarraj government’s request.

More than 3,000 government soldiers were killed and up to 1,800 were injured since the launching of Al-Bunyan al-Marsous operation in May 2016.

Meanwhile, the transitional government, headed by Abdullah al-Thani, demanded that the International Criminal Court stop prosecuting Muammar Gaddafi’s second son Saif al-Islam since he was being tried before the local justice.

Libyan Justice Minister Munir Aser said in a letter to the ICC that trying an individual twice breaches international conventions.

Saif al-Islam was arrested in November 2011 after his attempt to escape Libya, knowing that a court in Tripoli had already issued a death sentence in absentia as he stood accused of oppressing the Libyan revolution that sparked in February 7, 2011.