New York – The U.N. Security Council on Thursday renewed for one year a targeted arms embargo, travel ban and assets freeze against individuals and entities designated by the Committee established pursuant to resolution 2140 (2014) on Yemen’s rebels.
The Council unanimously adopted resolution 2342 (2017) under Chapter VII of the United Nations Charter, renewing until February 26, 2018 the measures imposed by paragraphs 11 and 15 of resolution 2140 (2014).
An official statement said that according to those provisions, the Council decided that “all Member States would freeze all funds, other financial assets and economic resources on their territories that were owned or controlled by the individuals and entities designated by the Committee. It also decided that Member States would take the necessary measures to prevent the entry into, or transit through, their territory by those individuals.”
It also reiterated its call on all parties in Yemen “to adhere to resolving their differences through dialogue and consultation, reject acts of violence to achieve political goals, and refrain from provocation.”
The Security Council expressed its commitment to the work of U.N. Special Envoy for Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed in support of the Yemeni transition process.
The statement added that the Council was “gravely distressed by the continued deterioration of the devastating humanitarian situation in Yemen.”
It expressed serious concern at all instances of hindrances to the effective delivery of humanitarian assistance, including limitations on the delivery of vital goods to the civilian population of the war-torn country.
In a report issued last month, the expert team of the Sanctions Committee, which was established pursuant to Resolution 2140, said that Houthi rebels were smuggling weapons from Iran.
The report added that Australian, French and U.S. marines working in the area confiscated five smuggled arm shipments.