Washington, New York- Washington alluded of resorting to the nuclear choice in responding to North Korea’s threats.
On Sunday evening, the White House warned it would answer any nuclear threat by using all its capacities, including nuclear weapons, if the regime of North Korea’s Kim Jong Un continues its threats against Washington and its allies.
In a related development, US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley said the Security Council is expected to discuss this week a new draft resolution of new sanctions against North Korea, for a possible vote next Monday.
Speaking at an emergency session of the Security Council on Monday, Haley said: “Enough is enough. War is never something the United States wants. We don’t want it now. But our country’s patience is not unlimited.”
The emergency session comes after North Korea detonated its most powerful bomb to date, inciting additional tension between America and North Korea’s Kim Jong Un.
On the other hand, China and Russia said on Monday that the crisis with North Korea should be solved peacefully, without taking new measures against Pyongyang.
For its part, Seoul said on Monday there are indications that the North is preparing more missile launches including a possible new test of its ICBM, the Hwasong-14.
In the meantime, South Korea said it ramped up its own defenses following the Northern test.
Also on Monday, Trump and his South Korean counterpart Moon Jae-in agreed that the US would lift restrictions on South Korean missile payload capabilities.
The two men spoke about the threat that North Korea’s latest provocation poses to the entire world,” and “agreed to maximize pressure on North Korea using all means at their disposal.”
Seoul was previously restricted to a maximum warhead weight of 500 kilograms on its ballistic missiles, based on a 2001 bilateral agreement with the US.
On Sunday, Defense Secretary James Mattis warned of a “massive military response” to any threat from North Korea against the US or its allies.