Washington-The United States has condemned the terrorist attacks in Yemen that were claimed by ISIS and which left scores of people dead on Monday.
The U.S. is seeking to give peace talks in Yemen a new push after the efforts carried out under the auspices of the United Nations to reach an agreement between the conflicting parties collapsed earlier this month. No date for a new round of discussions has been set.
State Department spokesman John Kirby said the terrorist “attack underscores the urgency of a full and comprehensive settlement that will shrink the political and security vacuum that’s been created by the ongoing civil war there.”
The spokesman stressed the importance of reaching a political understanding.
“In the absence of a political solution, we remain concerned that Daesh (the Arabic acronym for ISIS) and al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula will continue to take advantage of the instability, and innocent people will regrettably continue to suffer,” he said.
Kirby told the press briefing that U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry discussed with Gulf state officials in Jeddah last week ways to reach a comprehensive settlement.
“We urge parties to seize this opportunity and work constructively with the U.N. special envoy as he begins his consultations,” he said.
The situation in Yemen had topped the agenda of discussions of Kerry during his visit to Saudi Arabia last week.
Washington is working for a new round of negotiations between Houthi insurgents and the legitimate Yemeni government.
Kerry’s proposal lies in pushing Houthis to withdraw from cities they have occupied since 2014 and the formation of a unity government.