Riyadh–Saudi Arabia’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations Abdullah Al-Muallimi said that the Kingdom has addressed a letter to the Security Council, condemning the terrorist acts perpetrated by Houthi militias and their allies in Yemen, as well as war violations committed by the head of the Syrian regime, Bashar Al-Assad, in Aleppo.
In comments to Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper on Wednesday, Al-Muallimi said: “We have submitted a letter to the Security Council, in which we have listed missile attacks launched by Houthi rebels on the Saudi border with Yemen; we also called on the council to take the appropriate stance regarding the necessity to respect Saudi Arabia’s sovereignty.”
Al-Muallimi added that the Kingdom has reaffirmed its right to take all appropriate measures to “counter the threats by the Iran-funded and backed Houthi-Saleh rebel militias.”
The letter, which was submitted to the Security Council earlier this week, condemned the “flagrant violation of the security and safety of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the relevant Security Council resolutions, in particular Resolution 2216 (2-15)”.
The country also provided a list of numerous ballistic missiles attacks violating Saudi the border, from June 6 to October 2016.
Muallimi noted the letter stressed that the Kingdom “will spare no effort in protecting the security and safety of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Yemen and its people, and the region, in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations and international law.”
Muallimi also said that Houthi rebels have launched more than 30 missile attacks across the Saudi border over the past two months.
The top diplomat added a copy of the joint Saudi-Qatari initiative, which condemned the dangerous escalation of violence committed by Assad and his allies in Aleppo, has been delivered to more than 60 member states at the United Nations.
Muallimi highlighted Saudi Arabia’s continuous initiatives to support the Syrian people and facilitate the delivery of humanitarian aid to the besieged population.
He added: “We have urged the Security Council to reconsider the appropriate means to end the ongoing violence and face the brutal attacks committed by the Syrian regime against its people.”