During the past 24 hours, heavy attacks by pro-Russian rebels ended up with the death of five Ukrainian servicemen, with four left wounded. The attacks took place in separatist eastern regions, Ukrainian military spokesman Oleksandr Motuzyanyk said on Sunday.
The aforementioned came after a report of the deaths of seven Ukrainian soldiers last Tuesday, marking the highest daily casualty figure for government troops since August.
A truce failed to calm things through an attempt to ceasefire that was signed in February 2015, which unfortunately did not succeed in quelling all fighting in Ukraine’s separatist east, with each side accusing the other of violations.
Motuzyanyk emphasized the government-controlled frontline town of Avdiyivka, north of separatist-held Donetsk city, as a recent hotspot for rebel attacks from both light and heavy weapons, including mortars.
Russia rejects Western charges it has provided the rebels in the Luhansk and Donetsk regions with arms and troops in a conflict that has killed around 9,000 people and led to Western economic sanctions against Moscow.
In regard of the matter, on Saturday, rebel officials said two civilians had been wounded as a result of shelling by Ukrainian troops, separatist website DAN reported.