Middle-east Arab News Opinion | Asharq Al-awsat

Three Women Arrested on Suspicion of Terrorism in London | ASHARQ AL-AWSAT English Archive 2005 -2017
Select Page
Media ID: 55372902

Police officers stand next to terraced housing in Harlesden Road, north London April 28, 2017. (Reuters)

Three women with suspected terrorist links were arrested in London on Monday, police announced.

They said that they were arrested under Britain’s anti-terror laws in east London and that they may have connections to the thwarted attack last week.

The Metropolitan Police said it arrested two 18-year-olds and a 19-year-old on suspicion of the commission, preparation and instigation of terrorist acts.

“The arrests were made as part of an ongoing intelligence-led operation in connection with an address on Harlesden Road,” the police said in a statement, referring to a location where a woman was shot on Friday during an armed raid which police said disrupted a militant plot.

Over the weekend, sources from Scotland Yard said terrorists are plotting to carry out two new attacks in the city during the upcoming period.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu confirmed that terrorist threats are still “very high” in Britain, warning that police are facing an increased level of terrorist activity.

British police announced on Sunday that they had arrested a woman who was shot and seriously injured during a counter-terrorism raid in London earlier this week.

Scotland Yard said the 21-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of preparing or instigating terrorism acts after she was discharged from the hospital Sunday.

The woman was shot when counter-terrorism police on Thursday stormed a northwest London house. Police said they had disrupted an active terror plot, but did not elaborate. Six other suspects, aged 16 to 43, were arrested in the operation, which also included a raid in southeastern England.

Police said the raids were not connected to an arrest by counterterrorism police near Parliament on Thursday.

Police say they have obtained warrants to further detain the six suspects until May 4.