Aden – Pro-government forces in Yemen continued their advance towards Arhab, a district of the insurgency-held Sana’a.
Yemen national army units backed by pro-government popular resistance forces had reportedly restored control over the coup’s last stronghold in the Nihm district, located on the eastern gates of Sana’a.
Army units continue to clear militia pockets in Nihm, as arrangements are made for the military close-in on Arhab, Yemeni Army press director Ahmed Ayed told Asharq Al-Awsat.
Meanwhile, army forces, backed by Saudi-led Arab coalition air power, are in the process of sending reinforcement to Nihm, gathering up divisions in preparation for fierce clashes anticipated on the outskirts of Sana’a, the insurgency’s de facto capital.
Loosing Sana’a would spell the end of the armed coup in Yemen, and will force the Iran-backed Houthis to commit to political negotiations.
More so, human rights violations staged by insurgency militias persist against Yemeni civilians and are in retaliation of Houthis losing ground to pro-government forces.
Yemeni citizens told Asharq Al-Awsat that conditions and circumstances imposed on their lives are short of horrendous and amount to war crimes.
Among the countless crimes committed by Iran-backed insurgents, no less in the scales than genocide, Houthis had killed at least 34 earlier this week by targeting a mosque during Friday prayers in Yemen’s Marib province as locals reported. Over a 100 injuries were also caused by the attack.
Two missiles were fired at the mosque located inside the military camp of Kofal in the west of Marib after a rocket was fired.
Coup militias in Yemen later claimed the attack, with insurgency media outlets stating that Houthi Katyusha multiple rocket launchers had targeted the mosque.
Marib-based physicians said the death toll is expected to increase given the severe injuries and critical condition victims of the attack were left in.