The United States announced on Monday its intentions and efforts put into extending the recently posed Syria cessation of hostilities agreement.
The U.S., despite working to prolong the truce, called on Russia to first clarify a statement by made by the pro-regime Syrian army that the brokered ceasefire was over.
“Our arrangement is with Russia, which is responsible for the Syrian regime’s compliance, so we expect Russia to clarify their position,” U.S. State Department spokesman John Kirby said in a statement.
There had been a measure of reduced violence since the truce was agreed but not seven consecutive days of calm as called for under the deal, Kirby added.
Syria’s pro-regime military early on Monday declared the seven-day initial period for a ceasefire brokered by the United States and Russia over, without indicating whether the truce would be reinstated.
It said in a statement that “terrorist groups”, a term the Syrian government uses to refer to all Syrian Opposition forces fighting against it, had failed to commit to any of the provisions of the deal, and had used the ceasefire to rearm whilst violating it 300 times.
It vowed to “continue fulfilling its national duties in fighting terrorism in order to bring back security and stability”.
Each side has accused the other of violating the truce, which appears to be in tatters a week after taking effect.
The United States said earlier on Monday the ceasefire was “holding but fragile”.
On the other hand, Russian Defense Ministry has suspended a live webcast showing the situation in the southwest of Syria’s Aleppo after strikes by militants damaged the camera, it told Interfax news agency on Monday.
No one was hurt, it said. The live webcast was previously on its website http://syria.mil.ru.