A senior official in the Yemeni government told Reuters on Tuesday that peace talks aimed at ending Yemen’s war will convene in Kuwait next month and be accompanied by a temporary ceasefire.
A Saudi-led coalition began a military campaign a year ago with the aim of thwarting plans of Iran-allied Houthi rebels and forces loyal to Yemen’s ex-president Ali Abdullah Saleh from taking control of the country.
“The talks will be on April 17 in Kuwait, accompanied by a temporary ceasefire,” the official said.
More than 6,000 people have been killed since the clashes began with the two warring sides a year ago to fight Houthis and forces loyal to Saleh and to restore the president they ousted, Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
The spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition and Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir have in recent days said that any peace talks can only take place between Hadi and the Houthis, and through the U.N. special envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed.
Saudi Arabia has reiterated its commitment to a political solution to Yemen’s war under U.N.-backed peace efforts and sees as positive a call by a Houthi official for Iran to stay out of Yemen, al-Jubeir said last week.