Middle-east Arab News Opinion | Asharq Al-awsat

Iran Ignores U.S. Warnings, Announces New Military Drills | ASHARQ AL-AWSAT English Archive
Select Page

Ignoring serious warnings from the United States and fresh sanctions over a ballistic missile test, Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guard will be conducting military drills next week, a senior commander announced Saturday.

The cleric-led government said the exercises were aimed at demonstrating Iran’s “complete preparedness to deal with the threats” and “humiliating sanctions” from Washington.

U.S. President Donald Trump slapped fresh sanctions against Tehran’s weapons procurement network following a ballistic missile test on January 29.

New Pentagon chief James Mattis, for his part, has labeled Iran “the single biggest state sponsor of terrorism in the world”.

“The manoeuvres called ‘Grand Prophet 11’ will start Monday and last three days,” General Mohammad Pakpour, commander of the force’s ground units, told a news conference. He mentioned that rockets would be used without specifying which kind.

In early February, Iran conducted drills involving short-range missiles at a time of heightened tensions with the United States.

“Iran would do well to look at the calendar and realize there’s a new president in the Oval Office. And Iran would do well not to test the resolve of this new president,” Vice President Mike Pence said earlier this month.

Iranian officials have rejected the threats emphasizing that the missile program is purely defensive.