Saudi Arabia says four family members have been killed by a cross-border missile from Yemen that struck their home in the southern region of Jizan.
The attack comes one day after the Saudi-led military coalition said seven Saudi border guards, including an officer, were killed in a cross-border clash with militants from Yemen.
Saudi’s Civil Defense spokesman in Jizan, Yehia al-Qahtani, said in a statement that a woman and child were among those killed in the attack and that three others were wounded and taken to a hospital for treatment.
He said the missile struck the home around 1:30 a.m. on Monday.
The Saudi-led coalition backs Yemen’s internationally recognized government against Yemen’s Shi’ite Houthi insurgency and their allies who control large swaths of territory inside Yemen.
U.N. Yemen envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed said the talks between the Houthis and their General People’s Congress party allies and the internationally-recognized government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi had been extended by a week.
“We hope that the delegations can utilize this remaining week to achieve progress on the path towards peace,” he said in a statement.
The slow-moving negotiations are aimed at ending a 16-month-old conflict that has killed more than 6,400 people, nearly half of them civilians, and displaced more than 2.5 million.