The Saudi-led coalition supporting Yemen’s legitimacy against Iran-backed Houthi insurgents began on Saturday a 48-hour truce in Yemen.
“It has been decided to begin a 48-hour ceasefire from 12:00 noon in Yemen’s timing on Saturday,” the coalition said in a statement earlier in the day on the kingdom’s SPA news agency.
It added that the truce could be renewed if the Houthis and their allies abide by the deal and allow aid deliveries to besieged cities, including Taiz.
The coalition announcement followed a request for a ceasefire by Yemen’s President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi — himself based in Riyadh — to the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman, the statement said.
“Coalition forces will abide by the ceasefire”, it said, but warned that should the rebels or troops loyal to former president Ali Abdullah Saleh make any military moves in the area the coalition would respond.
Controls the coalition imposes on Yemen’s ports and airports to stop arms getting to the insurgents will remain in place and surveillance jets will continue to fly over Yemen, it added.