Aden – London – Riyadh – Saudi Arabia’s Cabinet welcomed a call by the United States, Britain and the United Nations to hold an immediate and unconditional truce in Yemen, which came during a meeting in London on Sunday.
It also expressed support to efforts deployed by U.N. Special Envoy to Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed and the roadmap that he will propose to the warring parties to implement the necessary political and security measures that would lead to a political solution to the ongoing conflict.
Meanwhile, high-raking Yemeni sources told Asharq al-Awsat newspaper on Monday that ceasefire in Yemen will be announced within the next 48 hours, noting that the truce will be put into effect as of Wednesday night.
In the same context, Yemeni Foreign Affairs Minister Abdul Malak Al-Mikhlafi told Asharq al-Awsat newspaper that his government has agreed on the proposal to implement a 72-hour renewable truce, during which he said humanitarian aid would be delivered to the besieged city of Taiz.
He added that Ould Cheikh Ahmed has informed the government of Houthis’ approval of the ceasefire.
In earlier comments following London’s meeting on Sunday, Saudi Foreign Affairs Minister Adel Al-Jubeir told reporters that the Kingdom would agree on the ceasefire should the Houthi rebels endorse it.
He added that peace in Yemen depends on Houthis’ commitment to the ceasefire conditions.
The U.N. envoy to Yemen is expected to return to the region on Tuesday or Wednesday to discuss the possibility to resume peace talks between the Yemeni warring parties. Al-Mikhlafi told Asharq al-Awsat that no agreement has been reached so far on the time and location of the new round of political talks.
In remarks to Asharq al-Awsat newspaper, Yemeni President’s Advisor Abdulaziz Al-Miflahi said that the legitimate government was keen on the establishment of peace, noting that the Houthis were responsible for the ongoing violence and bloodshed in Yemen.
A meeting on Yemen was held in London, Sunday, in the presence of U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, Saudi Foreign Affairs Minister Adel Al-Jubeir, U.A.E. Foreign Affairs Minister Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan and U.N. Special Envoy to Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed.
In a joint statement issued at the outset of the meeting, the foreign ministers called for an immediate and unconditional truce in the war-torn country.
They also expressed the urgency to find a solution to the Yemeni crisis to end bloodshed and human sufferings, urging warring parties to work with the U.N. envoy in accordance with the Gulf Initiative, the outcome of the national dialogue and the relevant U.N. Security Council resolutions, in particular U.N.S.C.R. 2216.