Aden, Jeddah-Informed sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that Houthi rebels have accepted a 72-hour ceasefire truce. But, based on previous experiences, several observers informed about the situation in the country have expressed doubt about Houthis’ respect of the truce.
The sources said rebels accepted the ceasefire after U.N. Special Envoy to Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed arrived to the Omani capital, Muscat, where he met with a Houthi delegation to discuss the peace process in Yemen.
Houthi member Naser Baqzaqouz told Asharq Al-Awsat: “The delegation accepted the ceasefire and was informed by the U.N. envoy that the Yemeni presidency and the alliance forces had accepted it too.”
Yemen’s President Abd-Rabbuh Mansour Hadi’s internationally recognized government, which is supported by an alliance of Arab states led by Saudi Arabia, is fighting the Houthis and Saleh militias who took over the capital Sana’a in 2014.
Sources from the office of Ould Cheikh told Asharq Al-Awsat that the U.N. envoy carries with him an agenda for a political solution and a comprehensive understanding to end the crisis in Yemen.
According to the sources, the diplomat’s plan is based on the latest peace talks held in Kuwait, in addition to the points discussed in this regard, both is Jeddah and New York.
Separately, Governor of Al Jawf Amin al-Okaimi told Asharq Al-Awsat on Thursday that Houthis were involved in the bombing and destruction of several schools in Al Ghayl district. The rebels built on their ruins religious seminaries for Iranian indoctrination.
Okaimi said that the authorities had arrested an Iranian national sent by Tehran along with other teachers to teach Yemenis the Iranian doctrine, which is based on preaching hatred against Arabs. The man was arrested during battles to liberate several directorates in Al Jawf province.
The governor added that Houthis had previously received delegations from the Iranian revolutionary Guards in Al Ghayl district.