Middle-east Arab News Opinion | Asharq Al-awsat

Ennahda, Nidaa Tounes, Agree on Government of Parliamentary Majority | ASHARQ AL-AWSAT English Archive 2005 -2017
Select Page
Media ID: 55352373

Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi. Reuters

Tunis-The Nidaa Tounes and Ennahda movements have agreed on forming a parliamentary-majority government if the opposition insisted on refusing to participate in the cabinet proposed by the Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi, sources said.

The agreement rules that Ennahda should waive its right to nominate the prime minister, to prioritize the formation of a government with social targets, and to accept a share of ministerial portfolios corresponding to its social and political influence.

A parliamentary-majority government means Ennahda and Nidaa Tounes will control the parliamentary scene through their representatives in it, who ensure them a 60% majority of voices in the discussion of any laws in the parliament.

Sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the two powerful parties, which acquired the biggest share of parliamentary chairs, may control 70% of the ministries and emphasize their strong political alliance, while the other 30% will be allocated for laborers syndicates, businessmen, and some other parties that agreed on the president’s proposal.

Observers of Tunisian affairs believe that this discrete agreement followed the failure of the opposition in taking a decisive stance concerning the presidential initiative during their first meeting.

A few days ago, Nidaa Tounes and Ennahda agreed to accelerate the current PM’s demise, based on the political considerations of each party. According to this implicit agreement, Nidaa Tounes has called for the nomination of a new figure to preside the government, and practiced additional pressures on Essebsi, who proposed the composition of a unity government.

The political committee of Al Nidaa Party held a meeting and stressed continued negotiations with the other parties to agree on the new figure as soon as possible to face the coming challenges.

Concerning the meeting held by Essebsi with the four parties of the coalition, Asharq Al-Awsat was informed that many scenarios are on the table to settle the dilemma of the presidential proposal. But the most suggested one is a personal demise of Habib Essid, without the need of constitutional procedures.

On another context, Libyan Airlines has resumed flights to Carthage International Airport in Tunisia, following the approval of the Tunisian authorities.