London – Iranian judiciary denied allegations stating that it responded to the demands of two reformists leaders Mehdi Karroubi and Mir Hossein Musavi, while deputy Speaker Ali Motahari asked Iran’s Judiciary Spokesman Gholam Hossein Mohseni Eje’i why a request for public trials for both politicians has been denied.
For the first time, Motahari hinted that permanent house arrest could be enforced on Musavi. The deputy speaker said that the High Council for National Security can’t replace the judicial system and decide on permanent house arrest without trial.
Motahari contested Eje’i’s statements and said that the house arrest requires a judicial ruling and enforcing it till now violates Articles 32 till 37 of the Iranian constitutions, according to ISNA news agency.
According to Motahari, the way it is handling the case of Motahari and Mosavi, Iranian authorities are providing US additional alibis to convict Iran on human rights.
Judiciary Spokesman denied news that security forces left the house of Karroubi and renounced his family’s allegations of government’s approval to meet his demands.
Meanwhile, former President Mohammed Khatami called upon Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei to end the house arrest of opposition leaders who disputed the results of the 2009 presidential elections.
Khatami’s statement is the first time a senior figure asks Khamenei to intervene. He urged Khamenei to “resolve” the house arrest of Karroubi and Musavi.
On Wednesday, Karroubi began a hunger strike requesting a trial rather than remaining under house arrest where he has been held since 2011.
Karroubi underwent heart surgery last month and has suffered several health problems in the past few years.
Karroubi’s son, Mohammad Taghi Karroubi announced his father’s hunger strike saying he began it demanding again to be put on public trial and has also asked for the security forces to leave his house.
On Thursday, Karroubi’s family announced the end of his strike and his son Mohammed tweeted afterward that officials promised to expend “all their efforts” to give him a public trial.
Health Minister Hassan Qazizadeh Hashemi visited Karroubi and said he was in good health.
In April 2016, Karroubi sent an open letter to President Hasan Rouhani asking for a trial.
He also described Khamenei as a tyrant and selfish.
He said: “these days the regime uses thugs every day across the country to attack the homes of religious authorities, political figures who have been critical of the regime, embassies, and artistic and cultural centers in the name of ‘values.’ They violate the sanctuary of mosques for their political ambitions and know no boundaries in their desperate behavior.”
Head of Iran’s Assembly of Experts Ahmad Jannati stated back in December of 2016 that both Karroubi and Mousavi deserve a trial.