Riyadh– Palestinian Ambassador to Riyadh Bassem Al-Agha said on Thursday that Saudi Arabia has worked silently and away from the media, to resolve Al-Aqsa crisis, noting that the Kingdom was not looking to stir media propaganda, but to achieve positive results on the ground.
In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper, Al-Agha noted that efforts deployed by the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, King Salman bin Abdulaziz, along with the sacrifices of the Palestinian people have aborted the Zionist plan and would lead to further victories in the future.
The Palestinian ambassador stressed that Saudi Arabia was committed to supporting the Palestinian cause at all times and has never been late in meeting its obligations.
“About a month ago, the Kingdom has transferred around $30 million to UNRWA to help the refugees,” he stated.
He went on to say that efforts exerted by King Salman, which resulted in the removal of all Israeli measures around the Al-Aqsa, “reflect the pulse and feelings of every Saudi, Arab and Muslim citizen.”
The ambassador also noted that the Israeli plan was aimed at extending control over the holy mosque and imposing “spatial and temporal divisions” to determine the areas for Muslims and others for the Jews.
Meanwhile, a statement by the Saudi Royal Court issued on Thursday said: “The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, King Salman bin Abdulaziz al-Saud, has held contacts with many world leaders over the past few days,” in order to prevent Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in Jerusalem’s Old City from being closed to Muslims and to defuse political and religious tensions.
King Salman contacted the US government and called for an end to restrictions on entry to the mosque, the statement said, saying that developments showed this push had been successful.
The king “stressed the need for the return of calm,” and called for respect for the sanctity of the compound, it added.