Riyadh, Kuwait–The U.N. announced on Wednesday the suspension of the inter-Yemeni peace talks in Kuwait for two weeks, after clashes had intensified on all front lines.
The suspension coincided with the last week of the month of Ramadan and the beginning of Eid al-Fitr.
U.N. Special Envoy for Yemen Ould Cheikh Ismail Ahmed announced that the peace talks are expected to resume on July 15.
In his statement, Ould Cheikh said: “After extensive discussions with the participants, the main principles that will guide the next phase of Yemeni talks had been established.”
He added that the principles are based on working papers submitted by the two delegations and recommendations of the specialized committees.
“The two delegations will use the coming two weeks to meet their respective leaderships and will then return to Kuwait on July 15 with practical recommendations on how to implement the necessary mechanisms that will enable them to sign a peace accord and end the conflict in Yemen,” Ould Cheikh said.
The U.N. Envoy did not reveal the proposed points of the settlement but announced a roadmap two weeks ago that included: the formation of a national unity government, withdrawal of rebels from territories they have seized, and handing over weapons they had confiscated from the army.
Meanwhile, a high-ranking Yemeni official urged the national army, Arab coalition and resistance to advance and liberate Sanaa from the insurgents. He stressed that the insurgents only understand the language of weapons.
Presidential Advisor Abdul Aziz al-Maflahi told Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper that the Kuwait peace talks are not moving forward and are achieving no tangible progress in any of the set clauses.
“Every time we agree on a clause, the insurgents deny it the following day. That’s what they do. We respect the efforts of the U.N., Kuwait, and all other states in the peace talks, but these insurgents understand only the language of power,” declared Maflahi.
When asked about the proceeding of national army and popular resistance, backed by the Arab coalition, towards Sanaa, and whether that was an indication for the failure of talks, Maflahi confirmed that a military solution is always an option.
The advisor added that the legitimate government wants peace that meets the requirements of U.N. Resolution 2216.
Maflahi warned that the opportunities granted to the insurgents were misinterpreted as weakness. He mentioned that the insurgents have not stopped their aggression and never committed to suspension of hostilities.
Abdul Azizi Maflahi said: “Liberating Sanaa, or more accurately toppling the insurgency, has been prepared for some time now. The operations were ceased to give peace a chance. Yet, the insurgents took advantage of the situation for military mobilization.”
He called for the military operations to continue with the liberation of the capital as the main goal.
Maflahi pointed out that the insurgents are reckless, saying they came three days late to the Kuwait peace talks and denied what had been agreed on during Geneva 2.
He concluded that the insurgents know no conventions and only understand the language of cannons.